GED® and CCR Content Areas and Instructional Strategies
Resources for all four content areas listed below:
- YouTube.com/Teachers -- This site features tips and tricks for bringing over 400 Common Core videos into the classroom. YouTube.com/Teachers is part of YouTube EDU, which features over 700 educational videos featuring leading academic experts.
- Wonderopolis -- This website was listed by TIME magazine as one of the “50 Top Websites in 2011.” Each day the site poses an intriguing question and explores it in variety of ways. All “wonders” are archived.
- EducationWorld® -- A resource that contains a plethora of lesson plans, information how to integrate technology into the classroom, gives website reviews and has special features, such as Everyday Edits. This resource is filled with so much information, but please be aware that the site does not align lessons with standards.
- HippoCampus – This free video repository offers math, science, social studies and English collections, as well as the ability to make individual playlists of the videos.
- LINCS Resource Collection – The resources in this collection are address all areas of adult education. They have completed a rigorous internal and external review process conducted by subject matter experts and have been recommended and approved by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE), Division of Adult Education and Literacy.
- Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Ocean Exploration program --This website provides a variety of learning and teaching tools designed to engage broad audiences and enhance America’s environmental literacy through the excitement of ocean discovery.
Social Studies (to be added)
- Adult Numeracy Network -- A community dedicated to quality mathematics instruction at the adult level.
- Ask Dr. Math -- A question and answer service for math students and their teachers.
- Common Core Better Lesson -- This website features over 3,000 Common Core-aligned lessons from master teachers across the nation.
- EdReady -- EdReady helps build math skills to prepare for the GED® test, college or career. Based on academic needs and learning goals, EdReady will create customized study plan.
- Illustrative Mathematics -- provides mathematical guidance to teachers by illustrating the range and types of mathematical work that students experience in a faithful implementation of the Common Core State Standards in the classroom. The site also provides information on other tools that support the implementation of the standards.
- Khan Academy -- A nonprofit educational organization that provides free videos and interactive exercises for students of all academic levels. Teachers can monitor their student’s progress and access resources on this site.
- Kentucky Early Mathematics Testing Program (KEMTP) -- KEMTP provides on-line testing to help high school students determine their level of preparedness for learning mathematics at the college level.
- Math.com -- This website is dedicated to providing revolutionary ways for students, parents, teachers, and everyone to learn math.
- LINCS Mathematics and Numeracy Resources -- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education resources for math instruction.
- KYAE Skills U Math Matters – This blog is a compilation of information and resources on mathematics instruction from other sites in an effort to build awareness of the teaching strategies needed to address the CCR Standards for Mathematics.
Reasoning through Language Arts
- Common Core Better Lesson -- This website features over 3,000 Common Core-aligned lessons from Master Teachers across the nation.
- English Literacy and Civics Education -- A resource developed by the Jefferson County Public Schools and Continuing Education Program.
- LINCS Reading Resources -- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education resources for reading instruction.
Accelerated GED® Programming Overview (134K PDF) -- The Three Rs of Accelerated GED Programming
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development -- The Common Core State Standards make academic vocabulary a shared responsibility across all academic domains. Archer and Hughes (2011) suggest five ways to teach vocabulary before they encounter them in a text in this Introducing Academic Vocabulary to Students article.
Edutopia™: Technology and Teaching: Finding a Balance -- Edutopia™ blogger Andrew Marcinek provides a thoughtful course correction for teachers facing full-on technology integration, offering three suggestions for focusing on media and balancing it with what students should be learning.
Introducing Academic Vocabulary to Students -- The Common Core State Standards make academic vocabulary a shared responsibility across all academic domains. Archer and Hughes (2011) suggest five ways to teach vocabulary before they encounter them in a text in this article.
KET Videos – KET’s videos include inspirational stories about student who have overcome their educational barriers and made positive changes in their lives. These videos address how to design a program that not only prepares the student to pass a test but gives them the tools to look beyond the GED® tests.
Fast Forward CCR Alignment – This document aligns the Fast Forward online courses with the GED® assessment targets and the College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards. Click on the tabs at the bottom of the document in order to view each of the target areas, which include language; reading; writing; numbers, statistics and geometry; and algebraic reasoning.
KET Fast Forward - Online courses that help students prepare for the GED® test. Click here for a full listing of the lessons in the courses.
Federal Registry for Educational Excellence (FREE) -- The Federal Registry for Educational Excellence (FREE) makes it easier to find digital teaching and learning resources created and maintained by the federal government and public and private organizations.
Kentucky Virtual Library -- Open seven days a week, 24 hours a day, the Kentucky Virtual Library (KYVL) is dedicated to supplying all Kentuckians with a comprehensive and dynamic collection of information resources.
KYAE Skills U Orientation Toolkit -- The KYAE Implementation Guidelines explains the criteria for enrollment in adult education services. The success of an adult education program begins with effective intake and orientation procedures. The KYAE Implementation Guidelines are located on the KAERS website after logging in at https://kaers.ky.gov/SignIn.aspx.
KYAE Skills U TV: A new resource for Kentucky educators (227K pdf) -- A video series produced by KYAE highlighting Kentucky adult educators' best practices.
Teaching Channel: Deeper Learning Video Series -- This video series shows what can happen when the Common Core is approached with innovative teaching models that emphasize real-world experience, academic mindsets and collaborative project work.
Teaching Channel: Learning to Read the Core: A View from 30,000 Feet -- Sarah Brown Wessling explains the Common Core Standards and offers insights on how to implement the core in classrooms.
Teaching Channel: Understanding the Common Core Standards -- Sarah Brown Wessling explains how to unpack the standards and the importance of focusing on the skills of the student.