Kentucky Adult Education (KYAE) Skills U, a unit of the Council on Postsecondary Education, is accepting applications from eligible applicants to develop, implement, and improve adult education and literacy activities within the state by establishing and/or operating programs to provide a comprehensive service model for adult education and literacy services, including programs that provide such activities concurrently for fiscal year July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019, for the following counties: Clinton, Cumberland, Green, Rockcastle, Taylor. This funding is made available through the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act (WIOA), Title II, Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA), and Kentucky's General Fund Appropriation.
The Request for Application (RFA), instructions and general information apply to all of the following separate grant opportunities:
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA), WIOA, Section 231
- Corrections Education and Other Institutionalized Individuals, WIOA, Section 225
- Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE), WIOA, Section 243
Required core services are adult education and literacy activities; English language acquisition (ELA) activities; family literacy activities; workforce preparation activities; workplace adult education and literacy activities; integrated English literacy and civics education (IELCE) services; integrated education and training (IET), and local corrections education in counties with full-service jails.
As this is a competitive process, KYAE welcomes and strongly encourages all eligible applicants to apply. All eligible agencies have the right to compete for adult education funding. All proposals from eligible agencies will be reviewed and considered for funding, regardless of whether the eligible agency has provided services in the past.
Description of Documents and Expectations
Application Submission Checklist
Preparing and Submitting Application
- Applications must be typed and double-spaced, with 12-point Arial font, with ½ inch
margins, numbered pages, and in portrait format (except for the Graphical Description);
- Include a narrative not more than 21 pages, double-spaced, numbered pages, and in portrait format;
- The submitted application will consist of the Grant Signature Page (original signatures of the lead organization/fiscal agent certifying to the best of their knowledge the application’s information is accurate and verifiable); Assurances; Required Affidavit for Bidders or Offerors; Service Area Selection, Consortium Members (if applicable); Demonstrated Effectiveness (risk assessment, past effectiveness performance, target population); 13 Considerations; Service Commitments (Year-Round, High-Need Counties, County-level, Location/Site-specific--plan of service per county for which applicant applies, Age Appropriate); Program Design (graphic and narrative); Integrated Education and Training; Accelerating Opportunity (AOKY)/AOKY Fast Track; Budget (narrative and budget spreadsheet); Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE) Program Design (if applicable), IELCE narrative and budget spreadsheet (if applicable). Use the Application Checklist (17K DOC) to ensure you have completed all required sections.
- All applications must be sent by email in the original format – in a Word document or Excel spreadsheet. Do not convert to an alternate format.
- Email applications to Toni Quire at Toni.Quire@ky.gov. All required sections, including all forms, must be submitted together in the same email. If you have technical difficulties in electronically submitting this information, please contact Toni Quire at Toni.Quire@ky.gov, or (502) 892-3056.
- If you do not receive email notification of receipt of your materials within three days of submission, please contact Toni.Quire@ky.gov.
- The original Grant Signature Page, Assurances, Affidavit for Bidders or Offerors and Services
Commitments, all signed by the authorizing agent (agency head), must also be mailed
hard copy (in addition to submitting them electronically) to:
Kentucky Adult Education Skills U
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive
Frankfort KY 40601
No handwritten nor hard copy applications will be accepted. The only exception to this are the following: Grant Signature Page, Assurances, Affidavit for Bidders or Offerors, Services Commitments, and Graphical Description.
The applications that are incomplete or formatted not in compliance with the above will not be considered.
Attachments to the application are not permitted.
All applications must be sent by email in the original format – in a Word document
or Excel spreadsheet. Do not convert to an alternate format. All application materials
must be submitted electronically to Toni Quire at Toni.Quire@ky.gov no later than 4:30 p.m. (Eastern Time), May 16, 2018.
The original Grant Signature Page, Assurances, Affidavit for Bidders or Offerors, and Services Commitments, all signed by the authorizing agent with required signatures, must be mailed hard copy to the address above and postmarked on or before May 16, 2018.
This is a competitive application process; therefore, no late applications will be accepted or considered.
General Information and Application Grant Requirements (894K PDF)
Description of Documents and Expectations (209K PDF)
Forms and Narrative Documents
Grant Signature Page (68K WORD)
Assurances (29K WORD)
Required Affidavit for Bidders or Offerors (27K WORD)
Service Area Selection (68K WORD)
Consortium Member Applicants, if applicable (68K WORD)
Demonstrated Effectiveness (31K EXCEL)
13 Considerations (68K WORD)
Services Commitments and Age Appropriate Environment (30K WORD)
Integrated Education and Training (28K WORD)
Accelerating Opportunity (AOKY)/AOKY Fast Track (26K WORD)
Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE), if applicable
- Program Design, including data
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE) WIOA webpage
Definitions (211K PDF)
Personnel Example of Duties (353K PDF)
Interactive Staffing Tool (31K EXCEL)
Clarifying Resources Collected During Statewide RFA Process
- February 22, 2018: Please note that the Projected Performance portion of the IELCE Program Design should be for years 2018-19, 2019-20, and 2020-21. The form has been updated to reflect this clarification.
- February 16, 2018: Skills U Director Clarifications (284K PDF) -- First two bullets under minimum requirements have been added for clarification purposes.
- February 15, 2018: Concluding Questions (120K PDF)
- February 14, 2018:
- February 12, 2018: Additional frequently asked questions submitted by the deadline of February 2.
- February 7, 2018: Frequently asked questions submitted prior to the Bidder's Conference and at the Bidder's
Conference. Check back for additional frequently asked questions submitted by the deadline of
- Frequently Asked Questions (414K PDF)
- Bidder's Conference Service Area PowerPoint presentation (7,312K PPT)
- January 26, 2018: Announcement of IELCE changes: New information is available pertaining to the percentage of target population and total funding available. Please see page 45 of the General Information and Application Grant Requirements (894K PDF). This will aid in the completion of the IELCE budget.
If you have clarifying questions concerning the content of the RFA, and cannot find the answers contained within the posted documents above, contact (email only) Natalie Cummins at Natalie.Cummins@ky.gov. Please no phone calls.
If you have technical difficulties in electronically submitting this information, please contact Toni Quire at Toni.Quire@ky.gov, or (502) 892-3056.
- KYAE Skills U Kentucky Adult Education Reporting System (KAERS) Manual (4,219K PDF)
- KYAE Skills U’s Employability Standards
- Kentucky WIOA State Plan, particularly Title II, AEFLA
- Senate Bill 1, An Adult Education Act
- LINCS Professional Development Portal
- WIOA Law and Regulations
- National Reporting System (NRS) Guide